Mission and Outreach
Global Mission Trip to Africa, Kenya for Adults and Youth, led by Rev. Gary Morello.
These documents will explain the mission trip this summer!
Crossing Thresholds Brochure
Africa Welcome Packet
The First Congregational Church of Darien’s Board of Christian Outreach puts faith into action by addressing the needs of others. Our first priority is helping those who lack the most immediate, basic necessities, whether locally, nationally, or internationally. We promote permanent and systemic improvements in people’s lives by contributing both financially and physically to hands-up programs.
“Those (He) who refresh(es) others will themselves (himself) be refreshed” — Proverbs 11:24-35
Outreach Funding Sources
Funding Sources for the Outreach Budget are as follows:
– 10% of pledges
– 4% of mission endowment income
– Darien House Tour
– Special offerings
The FCC Board of Outreach diligently evaluates local agencies in order to determine fit with our mission and overall need. The Board meets in December in order to allocate funds. In 2017, approximately $100,000 was distributed to the following non-profit organizations:
Outreach Activities Overview
- Neighbors Link family night– volunteers will cook and serve dinner for approximately 150 immigrants in Stamford, helping them to better integrate and assimilate.
- Domestic Violence Walk in her Shoes – FCCD is sponsoring this walk on October 3rd during which our town’s first responders will walk a mile in red high heels to show support and raise money for victims of Domestic Violence. FCCD will cheer on the participants. Please check the flash for the meeting location.
- Dove Boxes– each Christmas, the church community prepares ~70 Dove Boxes, which provide for food for local needy families through Person-to-Person.
- Food First– each month the church community donates and distributes food to local shelters in Norwalk and Stamford. During January and February we will have a special 1,000 pound food challenge to support our local hungry population during these particularly needy months. Please bring your non-perishable grocery items to church on the first Sunday of each month or leave at any time in the bins on the stage in Parish Hall.
- Open Door Shelter (Norwalk Emergency Shelter)– volunteers cook for and serve at the shelter each month. Volunteers also distribute Christmas turkeys and Easter hams. Please contact Heather Raker email@example.com for upcoming cook/serve dates.
- Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County–
- Midnight Run– For more information and to help, please contact Lora Grasilli at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Person-to-Person Postal Drive – Each May, volunteers from FCCD help to “stamp out hungry” by sorting food donations collected from the community by our local postal workers. For more information and to help, please contact Lindsay Atha at email@example.com.
- The Darien House Tour: Homes with Heart – The first Tour took place in 2015 and raised record funds for our Outreach beneficiaries. Please contact Heather Raker at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to volunteer.