Mission and Outreach
The First Congregational Church of Darien supports over 20 non-profit organizations through our Outreach budget, which totaled approximately $100,000 in 2016.
COME HELP THE BOARD OF OUTREACH WITH OUR ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!
The June 2nd Darien House Tour: Homes with Heart requires over 100 volunteers on the day of the event to staff a shift at our featured homes. We truly need your help to make this event his success so that we can raise over $60,000 for our beneficiaries. Please sign up at darienhousetour.com – click on the volunteer link. Did we mention how much fun you’ll have?
The Board of Christian Outreach thanks you for your support!
Gayle Appleby, Lindsay Atha, Tracey Berry, Yvette Borecki, Anna Denoyer, Joanne Gabriel, Lora Grassilli, Vince Hough, Annette Madden-Kline, Wendy Mulligan, Heather Raker, Charlie Wetmore
The First Congregational Church of Darien’s Board of Christian Outreach puts faith into action by addressing the needs of others. Our first priority is helping those who lack the most immediate, basic necessities, whether locally, nationally, or internationally. We promote permanent and systemic improvements in people’s lives by contributing both financially and physically to hands-up programs.
“Those (He) who refresh(es) others will themselves (himself) be refreshed” — Proverbs 11:24-35
Outreach Funding Sources
Funding Sources for the Outreach Budget are as follows:
– 10% of pledges
– 4% of mission endowment income
– Darien House Tour
– Special offerings
The FCC Board of Outreach diligently evaluates local agencies in order to determine fit with our mission and overall need. The Board meets in December in order to allocate funds. In 2016, approximately $100,000 was distributed to the following non-profit organizations:
Outreach Activities Overview
- Neighbors Link family night– volunteers will cook and serve dinner for approximately 150 immigrants in Stamford, helping them to better integrate and assimilate. Please contact Annette Madden-Kline at firstname.lastname@example.org to help.
- Domestic Violence Walk in her Shoes – FCCD is sponsoring this walk on October 3rd during which our town’s first responders will walk a mile in red high heels to show support and raise money for victims of Domestic Violence. FCCD will cheer on the participants. Please check the flash for the meeting location.
- Dove Boxes– each Christmas, the church community prepares ~70 Dove Boxes, which provide for food for local needy families through Person-to-Person. Please contact Annette Madden-Kline at email@example.com for more information or to help.
- Food First– each month the church community donates and distributes food to local shelters in Norwalk and Stamford. During January and February we will have a special 1,000 pound food challenge to support our local hungry population during these particularly needy months. Please bring your non-perishable grocery items to church on the first Sunday of each month or leave at any time in the bins on the stage in Parish Hall.
- Open Door Shelter (Norwalk Emergency Shelter)– volunteers cook for and serve at the shelter each month. Volunteers also distribute Christmas turkeys and Easter hams. Please contact Heather Raker firstname.lastname@example.org for upcoming cook/serve dates.
- Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County–
- Midnight Run– For more information and to help, please contact Lora Grasilli at email@example.com.
- Person-to-Person Postal Drive – Each May, volunteers from FCCD help to “stamp out hungry” by sorting food donations collected from the community by our local postal workers. For more information and to help, please contact Lindsay Atha at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Darien House Tour: Homes with Heart – The first Tour took place in 2015 and raised record funds for our Outreach beneficiaries. Please contact Heather Raker at email@example.com for more information and to volunteer.
For more up-to-date news and information about mission and outreach, click here!