Garden Angels is a group whose ministry is the care and beautification of the Church’s grounds.
Church Beautification – Adopt-a-Spot
Here’s a chance to get out as a family in the fresh air and to do some service for God’s creation and your church home. You’ll make our church look more beautiful and welcoming to visitors and passersby. And you’ll get exercise in a cooperative venture.
Since we cannot hold our annual all-church spring beautification, we’re asking families to volunteer to “Adopt-a-Spot” and accomplish one job by themselves. You choose the time that will work for you! By working in family units on your own time, we’re adhering to the spirit of keeping a safe distance from others.
To Adopt-a-Spot, contact Wyn Lydecker.
Here’s a list of landscaping tasks that need attention at our church. You choose!
Download printable map of the church grounds with the Adopt-a-Spot locations labeled.
1. Pull little weeds and pick up the loose bricks in the Memorial Garden.
2. Weed and mulch the bed outside Meetinghouse by entrance to Parish Hall (where the hoses are kept).
3. Weed and mulch the bed with tulips, hosta, and astilbe next to the ramp into Parish Hall (Do not cut the tulips or their leaves).
4. Weed and mulch the bed in front of the ramp.
5. Weed and mulch the bed outside the Library.
6. Cut back the ilex hedge next to the ramp to the Meetinghouse so that it isn’t growing over the sidewalk. (Please do not touch the bed next to it, as it’s filled with perennials.)
7. Weed, edge, and mulch bed with sign by path from upper parking lot to church. (Do not cut daffodil or tulip leaves.)
8. Weed, edge, and mulch the bed outside Dale’s office. It has a lot of perennials in it, so this is good for someone who knows their plants.
9. Take away the dead Christmas greens in the urn outside the office wing entrance and plant seasonal flowers. Clean up the courtyard and clean up debris around the drain.
10. Weed and mulch the bed next to the main church steps on the north side of Meetinghouse. Throw away the discarded pots of plants in the bushes.
11. Weed, edge, and mulch the long bed with tree, tulips, perennials, and yew that is in front of the church. (Do not cut tulip or daffodil leaves)
12. Weed, edge, and mulch the bed with the white church sign in back of bench.
13. Weed, edge, and mulch the round bed with yews and a church sign in near Brookside Road.
14. Look for other jobs, like trimming hedges or weeding hillsides or planting lilies or perennials.
You can buy brown cedar mulch at Home Depot. If you can find it on sale, even better.
Feel free to donate the mulch or ask for reimbursement from the church. Please note on your receipt: Church Beautification.
Contact Audrey Esmond or Wyn Lydecker for help identifying weeds or with questions.
FYI: poison ivy is reddish green with groups of 3 small leaves.