Music Moves Us
Music has long had a special place in our worship at The First Congregational Church of Darien. As a congregation, we believe that its beauty reflects on the glory of God and that by lifting our voices to Him in song and instrument, we praise Him in a meaningful and powerful way. Over the past several years, under the leadership of our Music Director Dan Hague, our commitment to the church’s musical tradition has deepened further. During this time, we have broadened our use of music with several community-oriented concerts.
We are always interested in welcoming new voices to the senior and junior church choirs. Please contact Dan Hague.
- Music Committee Chairs: John Stuart and Al Nickerson
- Music Director: Dan Hague
- Organist: Max Pakhomov
- Senior Choir – We have a Senior choir that rehearses on Thursday evenings.
- Hand Bell Choir – This group performs twice a year.
Throughout the year, our music program offers a number of special concerts, including a popular Christmas concert.
Dan and Max performed recently at our Christmas Concert, here playing Sleigh Ride!
Designed, built, and installed by the renowned firm of J.W. Walker & Sons, of Brandon, Suffolk, England, the new (A.D. 1996) Opus 188 instrument is housed in the front and center of the historic second (1837) brick Greek Revival Meetinghouse of The First Congregational Church of Darien. The Walker organ plays a huge role in our noble tradition of providing music to inspirit the Darien congregation. Previously, we had a fine two manual instrument by William A. Johnson, Op. 306, 1869. This was removed to the Shiloh A.M.E. Zion Church in Englewood, New Jersey, in 1927 to make way for a larger, two manual organ by M.P. Moeller, Op. 5158. This organ was a gift to the church and community by Mrs. Clarence W. Bell, Mrs. Francis R. Holmes, and Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Morehouse in memory of their parents. It was retired in a grand ceremony at a service of worship on Sunday, May 12, 1996.
The current Walker instrument was provided by gifts from church members and friends as part of a comprehensive plan. This included renovations to the Meetinghouse to accommodate the new organ including: a redesigned and enlarged choir loft and pulpit, improved lighting, acoustical enhancements, new hardwood flooring, flexible seating for choirs, enhanced handicap access, and other additions to improve worship and programming needs. The funds needed for this project were raised in a capital campaign organized by members of the church. The campaign was called “Lift Every Voice.” A percentage of the total amount of the funds raised provided a significant addition to the church’s Mission (Outreach) Endowment Fund.
The organ was installed and voiced by J.W. Walker builders and tonal directors in the autumn of 1996. It was dedicated on Sunday, April 13, 1997 with prayers, a celebrative concert, and joyful congregational singing.
The New Two Manual, 29 Rank Pipe Organ
by J.W. Walker & Sons, Ltd.
The detached console features mechanical key action, electromagnetic drawstop action, electronic combination action with eight level memory, French-styled terraced stop jambs of hardwood, manual naturals of polished bone and manual acccidentals of solid blackwood.
The pedalboard naturals are of hard maple and the pedal sharps of maple with blackwood capping. The drawstops are of turned blackwood with inlaid, engraved discs of bone.
The polished tin façade pipes are fashioned from the Great Open Diapason 8 and the Pedal Principal 8. There are 1641 pipes arranged in 22 stops.